Man likely got 'brain-eating amoeba' at Texas resort

WACO, Texas — Health officials say a New Jersey man who died from a rare "brain-eating amoeba " was likely exposed to it during his visit to a Texas water resort last month.

The Waco-McLennan County Public Health District said Friday that testing done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found evidence of the amoeba at one of the four attractions at the BSR Cable Park and Surf Resort in Waco, and conditions favorable for its growth at the other three.

Health officials say the amoeba was found at the attraction that's a natural body of water, but it'll remain open because risk of exposure is considered the same as at any natural body of water. But officials say the other three attractions won't reopen until "all health and safety issues" are addressed.

Fabrizio Stabile died Sept. 21 after contracting the deadly amoeba.

Related News

Premier: Trump ban doesn't affect Australia passport holders

Jan 31, 2017

The Australian prime minister says the White House has assured Australia that its passport holders won't be affected by President Donald Trump's executive order suspending immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries

Trump ban creates chaos for travelers in, out of the country

Jan 31, 2017

From Dubai to Los Angeles, President Donald Trump's order barring travelers from seven Muslim countries has thrown the lives of thousands into limbo

Q&A: What does it take to be a legal immigrant in the US?

Jan 31, 2017

Q&A: What does it take to be a legal immigrant in the US

Weekly Fame seeks to provide purposeful news to help improve and be a better self through daily life, fashion, accommodations, and traveling.

Contact us: sales@weeklyfame.com