PSA Spree: Former IAS Topper Shah Faesal Booked

Srinagar, India —

Continuing its spree of Public Safety Act (PSA) detentions, the authorities in Jammu and Kashmir today booked J&K People’s Movement (JKPM) leader Shah Faesal under the stringent act.

Shah Faesal, former IAS topper, who switched from bureaucracy to politics, is yet another Kashmiri leader to be booked under the act which allows detention for up to two years without a trial.

Pertinently, Faesal’s political career turned short-lived after the BJP-led Central government abrogated the special status of the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir in August last year.

Also Read: Prolonging the Political Winter in Kashmir

Shah Faesal During An Informal Public Meeting

He had launched his party Jammu and Kashmir People’s Movement (JKPM) just months prior to the Central government’s August 05 move, which saw the erstwhile State especially the Valley of Kashmir in a state of lockdown for months together.

Faesal resigned from bureaucracy “in protest” on 09 January 2019, citing “unabated killings” in Kashmir among other things.

Earlier, three former chief ministers — Farooq Abdullah, Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti — and other top-rung political leaders were booked under Public Safety Act after they completed six months in detention.

Also Read: Internet in Kashmir: Can VPNs be completely blocked?

The post PSA Spree: Former IAS Topper Shah Faesal Booked appeared first on Digpu News.

More News From weeklyfame.com

China says US has 'weaponized' visas to target exchanges

Feb 24, 2020

BEIJING — China on Wednesday accused the U.S. of having "weaponized" the issuance of visas following the reported inability of a top Chinese space program official to obtain permission to travel to a key conference in Washington. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters that the head of the Chinese delegation to the International Astronautical Congress wasn't able to obtain a visa following an Oct. 12 interview, making it difficult for Chinese representatives to attend important events at the meeting. Reports said the vice chairman of the China National Space Administration, Wu Yanhua, had planned to attend the congress. Hua...

The Latest: British PM questions Thomas Cook bosses' pay

Feb 24, 2020

LONDON — The Latest on the collapse of British tour company Thomas Cook (all times local): 6 p.m. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says a "huge effort" is underway to bring home British tourists and passengers stranded by the sudden financial collapse of travel company Thomas Cook. He adds Monday that steps needed to be taken so "you don't end up with a situation where the taxpayer, where the state is having to step in and bring people home." Johnson asks "whether it's right that the directors and the board should pay themselves large sums when a company can go down...

Tour company Thomas Cook collapses, global bookings canceled

Feb 24, 2020

LONDON — Longtime British tour company Thomas Cook collapsed after failing to secure rescue funding, and travel bookings for its more than 600,000 global vacationers were canceled early Monday. The British government said the return of the firm's 150,000 British customers now abroad would be the largest repatriation in its peacetime history. The process began Monday and officials warned that delays are inevitable. The Civil Aviation Authority said Thomas Cook has ceased trading, its four airlines will be grounded, and its 21,000 employees in 16 countries, including 9,000 in the UK, will lose their jobs. The company several months ago...

Fate of travel firm Thomas Cook up in the air after talks

Feb 24, 2020

LONDON — More than 600,000 vacationers who booked through tour operator Thomas Cook were on edge Sunday, wondering if they will be able to get home, as one of the world's oldest and biggest travel companies teetered on the edge of collapse. The debt-laden company, which confirmed Friday it was seeking 200 million pounds ($250 million) in funding to avoid going bust, was in talks with shareholders and creditors to stave off failure. A collapse could leave around 150,000 travelers from Britain stranded, along with hundreds of thousands from other countries. The company has sought to reassure customers that flights...

Bermuda lashed by heavy winds from Cat 3 Hurricane Humberto

Feb 24, 2020

MIAMI — Hurricane Humberto lashed Bermuda with strong winds Wednesday night as the powerful Category 3 storm passed just to the north of the British Atlantic territory, while another growing storm threatened tourist resorts along Mexico's Pacific coast. Bermuda Gov. John Rankin called up 120 members of the Royal Bermuda Regiment to prepare for possible storm recovery efforts and National Security Minister Wayne Caines cautioned everyone to stay inside. Authorities had ordered early closings of schools, clinics and government offices. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said hurricane-force winds began to hit the island of some 70,000 people by late afternoon...

Weekly Fame seeks to provide purposeful news to help improve and be a better self through daily life, fashion, accommodations, and traveling.

Contact us: sales@weeklyfame.com